MCL Blog: Top 5 tips for Memorising the Quran
Munira is a Hafidha and Quran teacher at Madinah College. She first completed the Quran when she was 12 and has been teaching Quran for the past 4 years. She has hosted several sisters Quran circles and has done workshops and lectures on memorising the Quran.
Here are Munira’s Top 5 tips to memorising the Quran:
- Intention: Approach the Book of Allah with a pure intention. Continuously do self-reflection and self-evaluation. What are you trying to gain by memorising the book of Allah? Are you genuinely trying to draw closer to Allah, or is it for worldly gains and praise from the people? Remember the Hadith “Actions are according to intentions, and everyone will get what was intended.” Narrated by Bukhari. If you aren’t coming with a sound intention you will not succeed long-term.
- Mindset: Along with a pure intention, you need a good mindset when embarking on this journey. If you are approaching this and are already thinking about how “difficult” and “impossible” this is, you have already lost. Allah does not describe many acts of worship as easy but when it comes to memorising the Quran, He, The Exalted says “And We have certainly made the Quran easy for remembrance, so is there any who will remember?” [Qamar 54:17] If Allah speaks of the Quran as “easy for remembrance,” why then are you complicating things for yourself?
- Sins: reduce your sins and increase in that which is good. Ibn Mas’ud (May Allah be pleased with him) refers to the heart as a vessel. So if this heart is a vessel and your vessel is full of sins and disobedience, there is no room for the speech of Allah.
- Teacher: Just like how in any other any other subject you are required to have a teacher;it is an even bigger requirement when it comes to the book of Allah. Memorising the book of Allah is a great deal of responsibility so make sure you get somebody who is qualified and experienced in teaching the Quran.
- Consistency: Yes, memorising the Quran is easy but don’t be fooled. Don’t think you will wake up one day and be an expert in Quran. You need to put in the work, be consistent and have a routine. In fact make it part of your daily routine till you reach a point in your life that you feel like something is missing when you haven’t read your daily portion of Quran.